January 27, 2011

Star Trek: "The Galileo Seven"



Data
Title: Star Trek“The Galileo Seven”
Year: 1967
Network: NBC
Episode: the sixteenth (of twenty-nine) from season one; 50 minutes
Creator: Gene Roddenberry
Director: Robert Gist
Writers: Oliver Crawford & Shimon Wincelberg; story by Crawford
Starring: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, Don Marshall, James Doohan
Music: Alexander Courage
I saw it: on video and TV several times, most recently yesterday (have on DVD)
Synopsis: a shuttle craft crashes on a hostile world

My reaction
Concept:4/4 (Great) It's a pretty basic set-up for exciting drama - hard to go wrong.
Story:3/4 (Good)
Characters:3/4 (Good)
Dialog:2/4 (Indifferent)
Pacing:3/4 (Good)
Cinematography:2/4 (Indifferent)
Special effects/design:1/4 (Bad) My love of kitsch can only go so far. When a deadly spear bounces off of somebody's head, even I have to admit that it's crap.
Acting:2/4 (Indifferent)
Music:4/4 (Great)
Subjective Rating: 7/10 (Good, 3/4 (Good)). I have a fondness for this episode. I like Spock, and his shtick is, for the most part, integral to the story and written believably here rather than being a gimmick or source of gags.  My wife pointed out to me that it's not a very good episode, and when I think about it, I guess I have to agree. The spears that come drifting in on a light breeze, instead of being thrown, destroy any chance it has at being taken seriously, and it needs to be taken seriously to work. But I still like it anyway.
Objective Rating (Average):2.7/4 (Good)

No comments:

Post a Comment