January 29, 2011

127 Hours

Data
Title: 127 Hours
Year: 2010
Length: 94 minutes
Director: Danny Boyle
Writers: Danny Boyle & Simon Beaufoy, based on a book by Aron Ralston
Starring: James Franco
Music: A.R. Rahman (and non-original music)
Oscars: nominations for Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Actor (Franco), Best Score, Best Song ("If I Rise") and Best Editing
I saw it: in the theater, yesterday
Synopsis: a hiker's arm gets stuck under a boulder

My reaction
Concept:1/4 (Bad) Reeeeally was not expecting to like this movie.
Story:3/4 (Good)
Characters:4/4 (Great) Yeah, that's right - it's the true story of a guy cutting his arm off, and it has great characters. What the hey?
Dialog:4/4 (Great)
Pacing:3/4 (Good) After watching it, I'd have guessed it to be about 2½ hours long. I don't know why that is, though, because it's exciting, fast and certainly never boring.
Cinematography:3/4 (Good)
Special effects/design:4/4 (Great)
Acting:4/4 (Great)
Music:3/4 (Good)
Subjective Rating: 8/10 (Great, 4/4 (Great)). Just about as intense as a movie could possibly get. I don't know why that's enough to make me like it. Usually I don't care for these sorts of things that are hard to watch, but this one's different somehow. Maybe it's because when it's at its worst, ick-wise, is when the character is fighting hardest.
Objective Rating (Average):3.3/4 (Very good)

No comments:

Post a Comment