February 7, 2011

The Town



Data
Title: The Town
Year: 2010
Length: 125 minutes
Director: Ben Affleck
Writers: Peter Craig, Ben Affleck & Aaron Stockard, based on a novel by Chuck Hogan
Starring: Ben Affleck, Rebecca Hall, Jon Hamm, Jeremy Renner
Music: David Buckley, Harry Gregson-Williams
Oscars: nomination for Best Supporting Actor (Renner)
I saw it: on video (rented from Netflix), yesterday
Synopsis: a bank robber dates a witness

My reaction
Concept:0/4 (Terrible) Is it just me, or does this synopsis sound like it should have been a bad Adam Sandler comedy?
Story:2/4 (Indifferent)
Characters:1/4 (Bad) I cannot get into a movie with no character to care about.  Could be someone likable, someone cool, someone interesting... whatever, I'm not picky, just give me something. Also, I really, really do not care about Ben Affleck's mother.
Dialog:2/4 (Indifferent)
Pacing:2/4 (Indifferent)
Cinematography:2/4 (Indifferent)
Special effects/design:3/4 (Good)
Acting:3/4 (Good)
Music:1/4 (Bad) Is this an action thriller, or a Ken Burns documentary?
Subjective Rating: 5/10 (Indifferent, 2/4 (Indifferent)). I don't get what people see in this. It's got some okay action scenes, but nothing exceptional. Mostly I was bored because I had no reason to care. Have mainstream thrillers really fallen so low that this one is able to stand out?
Objective Rating (Average):1.8/4 (Eh)

No comments:

Post a Comment