March 7, 2010

The New Tenants

My favorite of the live-action shorts (although, for the record, "Kavi" deserves to win the Oscar):

Data
Title: "The New Tenants"
Year: 2009
Length: 20 minutes
Director: Joachim Back
Writer: Anders Thomas Jensen; adapted (whatever that means) by David Rakoff
Starring: Kevin Corrigan, Vincent D'Onofrio, Jamie Harrold, David Rakoff
Music: Laurent Parisi
Distinctions: Oscar for Best Short (live action)

My reaction
Synopsis: a couple has a series of escalatingly bizarre visitors to their new apartment
How I saw it: in the theater, yesterday
Concept: Good.
Story: Bad. It has no ending.
Characters: Great.
Dialog: Great.
Pacing: Great.
Cinematography: Indifferent.
Special effects/design: Good. So-so design, good special effects.
Acting: Good.
Music: Indifferent. I don't remember it (this will likely be a recurring theme - twelve films in one day is a lot to remember).
Subjective Rating: 7/10 (Good). Continuously entertaining. While I was watching it, I was thinking it was great, but then the ending comes and it completely falls apart.
Objective Rating: 2.9/4 (Good).

No comments:

Post a Comment