March 11, 2010

Instead of Abracadabra

Data
Title: "Istället för abrakadabra"
Year: 2008
Length: 22 minutes
Director: Patrik Eklund
Writer: Patrik Eklund
Starring: Simon J. Berger, Göran Forsmark, Saga Gärde, Anki Larsson, Jacob Nordenson
Music: Marten Tromm (but mostly non-original music)
Distinctions: Oscar nomination for Best Short (live action) (2010)

My reaction
Synopsis: a crappy magician lives with his parents
How I saw it: in the theater, a few days ago
Concept: Indifferent.
Story: Indifferent.
Characters: Great.
Dialog: Great.
Pacing: Good.
Cinematography: Indifferent.
Special effects/design: Great.
Acting: Good.
Music: Indifferent.
Subjective Rating: 7/10 (Good). I didn't think much of it at the time, although it did make me laugh. It's more like a pilot for a sitcom than a short film. But it's actually stuck with me and my wife since watching it ("Chimay" has now become part of our vocabulary), while the other four live action nominees, even the really good ones, are well on their way to being forgotten.
Objective Rating: 2.9/4 (Good).

No comments:

Post a Comment