October 15, 2009

Let the Right One In

I'm sure there's a There Will Be Blood joke to be made here...

Data
Title: Låt den rätte komma in
Year: 2008
Length: 115 minutes
Director: Tomas Alfredson
Writer: John Ajvide Lindqvist, based on his novel
Starring: Kåre Hedebrant, Lina Leandersson
Music: Johan Söderqvist (and non-original music)
Distinctions: currently #220 on IMDb's Top 250

My reaction
Synopsis: a 12-year-old boy's new friend is a vampire
How I saw it: on video (rented from Netflix), yesterday
Concept: Indifferent. I can imagine the pitch for this film sounding like a Saturday morning spin-off of Twilight.
Story: Good.
Characters: Great.
Dialog: Great. And I watched the infamous Bad Subtitles version...
Pacing: Indifferent. Kind of slow. Not quite boring, but long.
Cinematography: Indifferent. Most shots are out-of-focus close ups, which I guess creates a deliberate effect, but whatever.
Special effects/design: Great.
Acting: Great. Not "great for a movie staring a couple of adolescents," just great.
Music: Indifferent. Although, the sound effects are so good, you don't need good music.
Subjective Rating: 7/10 (Good). Immediately after watching it, I thought I'd give it 6/10. But it's the kind of movie that sinks into your brain and won't leave you alone, and I find myself deciding between a 7 or an 8.
Objective Rating: 8/10 3/4 (Good).

No comments:

Post a Comment