October 16, 2009

Good Will Hunting

you are suspect

Data
Title: Good Will Hunting
Year: 1997
Length: 126 minutes
Director: Gus Van Sant
Writers: Matt Damon & Ben Affleck
Starring: Robin Williams, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Stellan SkarsgÄrd, Minnie Driver
Music: Danny Elfman (mostly non-original music)
Distinctions: Oscars for Best Original Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor (Williams); Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor (Damon), Best Supporting Actress (Driver), Best Score, Best Song ("Miss Misery") and Best Editing; currently #226 on IMDb's Top 250

My reaction
Synopsis: a math genius doesn't want to do anything
How I saw it: on video a couple times, most recently (rented from Netflix) yesterday
Concept: Indifferent.
Story: Indifferent. This script really is over-rated, isn't it? It's the Wait Those Guys Wrote A Movie That Doesn't Suck effect.
Characters: Indifferent.
Dialog: Great. Some very funny bits, and the dramatic stuff isn't too bad either.
Pacing: Indifferent.
Cinematography: Indifferent.
Special effects/design: Indifferent.
Acting: Good.
Music: Indifferent.
Subjective Rating: 6/10 (Okay). I guess I just don't care. There are a couple very good scenes, but much of the rest (and even some of the good bits) is hackneyed.
Objective Rating: 6/10 2.3/4 (Okay).

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite movies, but it's more personal than anything really. I connected to it so much when I first saw it that I think there's no way I could not like it. Matt Damon's character in this really resonates with me. But I completely understand where you're coming from in your ratings. I'll let it slide this time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember loving it as well, the first time I saw it. That was over ten years ago, and I haven’t really thought about it since then. Now, I can’t figure what I saw in it. Maybe you just need to be in a certain place to relate to it.

    Man, ten years ago… now I feel old.

    ReplyDelete