March 17, 2009

The Muppet Movie

This is my favorite movie of all time, so it seemed a good place to start this blog.

Title: The Muppet Movie
Year: 1979
Director: James Frawley
Writer: Jack Burns & Jerry Juhl
Starring: The Muppets (Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Richard Hunt, Dave Goelz), Charles Durning, Austin Pendleton
Music: Paul Williams
Distinctions: Oscar nominations for Best Song ("Rainbow Connection") and Best Song Score
Synopsis: Kermit the Frog travels to Hollywood to become rich and famous, and gathers a crowd of weird friends along the way
How I saw it: on video, countless times (have on DVD)
Subjective Rating: 10/10 (Favorite of my favorites)
Objective Rating: 9/10 (1 point off for cinematography) c. 3.6/4 (Great)

I could watch it at least once a month and never get bored. I don't think Frawley's direction is what anyone would call great film-making. But he always gets it exactly right where it counts, particularly with regards to the storytelling and the comedic timing. I'm not going to pretend it's a perfect movie, but looking purely at the enjoyability and entertainment value, I don't think any movie could do better. Basically, if you don't like The Muppet Movie, don't bother reading this blog, because this is What I Like.

No comments:

Post a Comment