March 25, 2009

The 400 Blows

Title: Les Quatre cents coups
Year: 1959
Director: François Truffaut
Writers: François Truffaut & Marcel Moussy
Starring: Jean-Pierre Léaud, Claire Maurier, Albert Rémy, Guy Decomble, Georges Flamant, Patrick Auffay
Music: Jean Constantin
Distinctions: Oscar nomination for Best Story and Screenplay; currently #249 on IMDb's Top 250
Synopsis: a French kid with a tendency to run away gets himself in trouble
How I saw it: on video (rented from Netflix), April 2008
Subjective Rating: 3/10 (Bad).
Objective Rating: 4/10 (gets points for characters, dialog, special effects/design and acting) c. 2.3/4 (Okay).

Boring. The music is good, but completely inappropriate for the style of the movie. My impression of Truffaut: "Just point ze camera at zem. What do I care what it looks like, I am French!" I just don't get the whole French New Wave business. Good fiction has a strong narrative, period.

1 comment:

  1. Hello!
    Very Interesting post! Thank you for such interesting resource!
    PS: Sorry for my bad english, I'v just started to learn this language ;)
    See you!
    Your, Raiul Baztepo

    ReplyDelete