March 20, 2009

Le Samouraï

Title: Le Samouraï
Year: 1967 (France), 1972 (US)
Director: Jean-Pierre Melville
Writer: Jean-Pierre Melville & Georges Pellegrin, based on a novel by Joan McLeod
Starring: Alain Delon, François Périer
Music: François de Roubaix
Distinctions: formerly on IMDb's Top 250
Synopsis: a criminal evades the law and his employers
How I saw it: on video (rented from Netflix), March 2008
Subjective Rating: 3/10 (Bad).
Objective Rating: 4/10 (gets points for concept, cinematography, special effects/design, and music) c. 2.2/4 (Okay).

Honestly, I hardly remember this movie. (The above ratings are copied from my old blog.) So I guess all I can really say is that it's not memorable. Here's what I wrote after watching it:

Very boring. It has the makings of a film noir crime/detective story, but there's no suspense, mystery or excitement of any kind. There's also no character development, although judging from the out-of-nowhere ending, there was probably supposed to be. The DVD bonus features lead me to believe that what's supposedly great about this movie is that it was filmed on location. That's great, French people.

No comments:

Post a Comment