March 22, 2011

You've Got Mail



Data
Title: You've Got Mail
Year: 1998
Length: 119 minutes
Director: Nora Ephron
Writers: Nora Ephron & Delia Ephron, based on a play by Miklós László
Starring: Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan
Music: George Fenton (and non-original music)
I saw it: on video (rented from Netflix), yesterday
Synopsis: rival business owners write each other op-ed pieces by anonymous email

My reaction
Concept:0/4 (Terrible) Even when it was a sweet love story starring Jimmy Stewart it wasn't all that great of an idea.
Story:1/4 (Bad) There's just barely enough left over from the original that the story's not completely crapped.
Characters:1/4 (Bad) My impression of Nora Ephron (based on two movies, and I hope I don't ever have to see another) is that she either thinks people are awful and likes them that way, or she is herself so awful that she doesn't realize that her characters are awful people.
Dialog:2/4 (Indifferent) I have to admit a few lines are amusing. So much more is bad, though.
Pacing:2/4 (Indifferent)
Cinematography:2/4 (Indifferent)
Special effects/design:2/4 (Indifferent) This has got to be the most dated movie ever made.
Acting:3/4 (Good)
Music:1/4 (Bad)
Subjective Rating: 3/10 (Bad, 1/4 (Bad)). It doesn't personally upset me, the way Julie & Julia does, since in this one it's not my generation that's portrayed as a bunch of... Nora Ephron characters. Bad movie, though. Real bad movie.
Objective Rating (Average):1.5/4 (Eh)

No comments:

Post a Comment