March 13, 2011

The Illusionist

Data
Title: L'illusionniste
Year: 2010
Length: 80 minutes
Director: Sylvain Chomet
Writer: Sylvain Chomet, based on a screenplay by Jacques Tati
Starring: Jean-Claude Donda, Eilidh Rankin
Music: Sylvain Chomet; Malcolm Ross (songs)
Oscars: nomination for Best Animated Feature
I saw it: in the theater, yesterday
Synopsis: a French stage magician tries to find work in Scotland

My reaction
Concept:4/4 (Great)
Story:3/4 (Good)
Characters:4/4 (Great)
Dialog:4/4 (Great) There's almost no dialog except for mumblings that you don't need to understand to follow. It's half in Fench and Gaelic (which I had mistaken for Simlish), but doesn't have subtitles.
Pacing:3/4 (Good)
Cinematography:4/4 (Great)
Special effects/design:4/4 (Great)
Acting:3/4 (Good)
Music:4/4 (Great)
Subjective Rating: 6/10 (Okay, 2/4 (Indifferent)). I really wanted to love this movie. It's quiet and innocent, with a simple but strong story, likable characters, great visuals and occasional bursts of hilarity - all things I love. But the ending's just too damn sad for me to get behind.
Objective Rating (Average):3.5/4 (Very good)

No comments:

Post a Comment