June 1, 2009

Hellboy

I felt the need to post this one to balance out my negative rating of Hellboy II.

Title: Hellboy
Year: 2004
Director: Guillermo del Toro
Writer: Guillermo del Toro; story by del Toro and Peter Briggs; based on the comic book by Mike Mignola
Starring: Ron Perlman, John Hurt, Selma Blair, Rupert Evans, Karel Roden, Jeffrey Tambor, Doug Jones
Music: Marco Beltrami
Length: 122 minutes
Synopsis: a demon raised by the US Government fights supernatural badguys
How I saw it: in the theater, 2004; on video a number of times (used to have on DVD), most recently a couple years ago
Subjective Rating: 7/10
Objective Rating: n/a (too long since I've seen it, but I'd guess 7 or 8/10)

Lots of fun. The title character is instantly likable. The villains are original. The story is far from perfect, but compared to the typical genre/action movie (especially some of the crap that comes out of adapting comic book characters), it's excellent. Probably one of the top five superhero movies I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment