June 12, 2009

The French Chef: Volume One

Julia introduces us to "The Chicken Sisters"

Title: The French Chef: Volume One
Year: 1963-1973
Network: PBS
Starring: Julia Child
Episodes: 18 (selected from throughout the show's run), at 28 minutes
Synopsis: Child teaches us how to cook for 1960's/70's dinner parties
How I saw it: on video (rented from Netflix), over the past few weeks
Subjective Rating: 6/10 (Okay).
Objective Rating: 6/10 (points off for story (n/a), cinematography, special effects/design and acting (n/a)) c. 2.9/4 (Good).

My wife got a kick out of these, but I don't really see the fun in cooking shows. And apparently traditional French cooking makes me nauseous ("If you don't leave the [fish] heads on, you won't be able to tell what it is!"). Child is charismatic, though (much to my surprise). And the show's never boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment