March 13, 2012

Days of Heaven

From my Second Ebert's Great Movies Marathon, part 9 of 15


Days of Heaven, 1978. A girl dispassionately observes a love-triangle melodrama. Written & directed by Terrence Malick. Starring Richard Gere, Brooke Adams, Sam Shepard & Linda Manz.

Concept: 3/4 (Good)
Story: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Characters: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Dialog: 3/4 (Good)
Pacing: 3/4 (Good)
Cinematography: 4/4 (Great)
Special effects/design: 4/4 (Great)
Acting: 3/4 (Good)
Music: 3/4 (Good)
Subjective Rating: 7/10 (Good, 3/4). A moving painting. The plot is Shakespearean and biblical - and corny and predictable. I'm glad I read Ebert's essay before watching it; if I had gone in not knowing what to expect, I'd probably have been frustrated and/or confused.
Objective Rating (Average): 3.0/4 (Good)

No comments:

Post a Comment