February 22, 2012

Beginners


Beginners, 2011. A man with a gay father doesn't know how to have a happy relationship. Written & directed by Mike Mills. Starring Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer & Mélanie Laurent.

Concept: 1/4 (Bad)
Story: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Characters: 4/4 (Great). I've despised this same character (The Man Who Doesn't Know How to Love) in countless movies, and disliked all of those movies because of him. But here, I'm completely with him the entire time. They made me understand and relate to a person I've never understood before.
Dialog: 4/4 (Great)
Pacing: 3/4 (Good)
Cinematography: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Special effects/design: 3/4 (Good). It might be too hip for its own good. Sometimes it feels like you're watching Tumblr: The Movie.
Acting: 4/4 (Great)
Music: 4/4 (Great)
Subjective Rating: 8/10 (Great, 4/4). That took me by surprise. I was expecting the same old tired Quirky Indie Dramedy. This has the elements of that formula, but for once something powerful and honest is built out of them.
Objective Rating (Average): 3.1/4 (Very good)

No comments:

Post a Comment