February 10, 2012

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

From my Second Ebert's Great Movies Marathon, part 2 of 15


Angst essen Seele auf, 1974. An interracial couple is surrounded by former Nazis. Written & directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder. Starring Brigitte Mira & El Hedi ben Salem.

Concept: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Story: 3/4 (Good)
Characters: 3/4 (Good)
Dialog: 3/4 (Good)
Pacing: 1/4 (Bad)
Cinematography: 3/4 (Good)
Special effects/design: 3/4 (Good)
Acting: 3/4 (Good)
Music: 3/4 (Good)
Subjective Rating: 4/10 (Eh, 2/4). I'm fortunate that I don't relate to this movie. I don't personally experience prejudice in my day to day life. In the film, it's just taken as a given. There's no attempt by Fassbinder to explain or understand it; it's just the way things are. Intellectually, I know that people as hateful as those in the movie are real. Even today, some of them are successful, powerful politicians. But, emotionally, I find I'm unable (or maybe unwilling) to accept it. The result is that the movie feels unbelievably over-the-top to me.
Objective Rating (Average): 2.6/4 (Good)

No comments:

Post a Comment