December 21, 2010

The Godfather

The Top 63 Marathon, part 62 (#2)



Data
Title: The Godfather
Year: 1972
Length: 175 minutes
Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Writers: Mario Puzo & Francis Ford Coppola, based on Puzo's novel
Starring: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Richard S. Castellano, Robert Duvall
Music: Nino Rota
Distinctions: Oscars for Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Actor (Brando); Oscar nominations for Best Director, Best Supporting Actors (Pacino, Caan and Duvall), Best Costume Design, Best Editing and Best Sound; withdrawn Oscar nomination for Best Score; currently #2 on the IMDb's Top 250

My reaction
Synopsis: the son of a gangster gets involved in "the family business" when his father is shot
How I saw it: on video a few times, most recently yesterday (rented from Netflix)
Concept: Good.
Story: Good.
Characters: Great.
Dialog: Great.
Pacing: Great.
Cinematography: Good.
Special effects/design: Great.
Acting: Great.
Music: Great.
Subjective Rating: 9/10 (One of my favorites). Normally it wouldn't be possible for a gangster movie to get more than an 8/10 from me, regardless of how exceptional the quality (and the quality here is crazy exceptional), but I'm making an exception just this once. About three and a half years ago, I re-watched this movie (I'd also seen it as a teenager, when I was too young to appreciate it). I don't remember why I watched it, since gangsters whacking each other is not my kind of thing, but I did, and movies haven't been the same for me since. This is the one that showed me what film as a medium is capable of, what I'd been missing by sticking mostly to Fun movies. This is the one where I first realized how visceral a reaction to great movie making can be. And so I sought out more, eventually started in on the Top 250, watched so many movies I needed this blog to keep track of them, and here we are. Watching movies (full-blown film buffery) has now surpassed my other hobbies by a large margin, and I owe it all to Nino Rota, an unfortunate horse, and Al Pacino's twitchy eyes.
Objective Rating: 3.7/4 3.8/4 (Great).

No comments:

Post a Comment