December 26, 2010

A Christmas Carol



Data
Title: Scrooge
Year: 1951
Length: 86 minutes
Director: Brian Desmond Hurst
Writer: Noel Langley, based on the book by Charles Dickens
Starring: Alastair Sim
Music: Richard Addinsell
How I saw it: on video (rented from Netflix), a couple days ago
Synopsis: a wealthy, uncaring man is haunted by Christmas spirits



My reaction
Concept: Great.
Story: Great.
Characters: Good.
Dialog: Great. "I must stand on my head."
Pacing: Indifferent. The Christmas Past section is too long, while other parts are rushed.
Cinematography: Good.
Special effects/design: Good.
Acting: Good.
Music: Good.
Subjective Rating: 7/10 (Good). I was pretty surprised by how much less moving it is than the Muppet version. But while it doesn't have the emotional weight it needs, a lot of it is fun to watch, thanks mostly to Sim's awesome face.
Objective Rating: 3.2/4 (Very good).

No comments:

Post a Comment