October 11, 2010

Fight Club

The Top 63 Marathon, part 48



Data
Title: Fight Club
Year: 1999
Length: 139 minutes
Director: David Fincher
Writer: Jim Uhls, based on the novel by Chuck Palahniuk
Starring: Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, Helena Bonham Carter
Music: The Dust Brothers (John King & Michael Simpson) (and non-original music)
Distinctions: Oscar nomination for Best Sound Effects Editing; currently #18 on the IMDb's Top 250

My reaction
Synopsis: an insomniac gets involved in antisocial mayhem
How I saw it: on video many times, most recently yesterday (have on DVD)
Concept: Bad.
Story: Great.
Characters: Great.  They're pathetic dirtbags, but they're fun to watch.
Dialog: Indifferent. There's some cleverness here and there, but mostly it just beats you over the head with juvenile pseudo-philosophy.
Pacing: Indifferent.
Cinematography: Indifferent.
Special effects/design: Great.
Acting: Good.
Music: Good.
Subjective Rating: 8/10 (Great). I loved this movie when I was younger. Now, I kind of despise where it's coming from. But I still appreciate it and enjoy most of it anyway.
Objective Rating: 2.9/4 (Good).

No comments:

Post a Comment