September 26, 2010

Easy A

Data
Title: Easy A
Year: 2010
Length: 92 minutes
Director: Will Gluck
Writer: Bert V. Royal
Starring: Emma Stone, Amanda Bynes, Thomas Haden Church, Patricia Clarkson, Lisa Kudrow, Malcolm McDowell, Stanley Tucci
Music: Brad Segal (mostly non-original music)

My reaction
Synopsis: a high-schooler encourages false rumors about herself
How I saw it: in the theater, yesterday
Concept: Bad. Metacritic.com is my hero. Many of the best movies I've seen this year are things I never would have considered seeing if it weren't for their surprisingly high scores. How to Train Your Dragon? The Ghost Writer? Toy Story 3?  They all looked dumb, and they're all on my top 10 of the year so far.  And now a "teen comedy" manages to beat all of them. So weird.
Story: Good.
Characters: Great. Not exactly the deepest window into humanity, but they're hilarious, and they feel real.
Dialog: Great.
Pacing: Great.
Cinematography: Indifferent.
Special effects/design: Great.
Acting: Great.
Music: Bad. But it's exactly what it should be.
Subjective Rating: 8/10 (Great) 9/10 (One of my favorites). No, seriously, it's a great movie.  It's clever and witty and lots of fun. I laughed harder than I have in a long time. My wife calls it "vigorously funny." (She doesn't know what that means, either.)
Objective Rating: 3.1/4 3.2/4 (Very good).

[edit: re-watched, 10/11/2012]

No comments:

Post a Comment