December 20, 2009

Precious

Data
Title: Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire
Year: 2009
Length: 110 minutes
Director: Lee Daniels
Writer: Geoffrey Fletcher, based on the novel by Sapphire
Starring: Gabourey Sidibe, Mo'Nique, Paula Patton, Mariah Carey
Music: Mario Grigorov (but mostly popular music)
Distinctions: Oscars for Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Supporting Actress (Mo'Nique); Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Directing, Best Actress (Sidibe) and Best Editing

My reaction
Synopsis: an abused pregnant girl from the ghetto goes to an "alternative" school
How I saw it: in the theater, today
Concept: Indifferent.
Story: Good.
Characters: Great.
Dialog: Great.
Pacing: Great.
Cinematography: Good.
Special effects/design: Great.
Acting: Great. Crazy great.
Music: Great.  One of the best soundtracks of the year.
Subjective Rating: 5/10 (Indifferent). My wife says, "Brutal." I appreciated it, but I didn't like it. Very well made, and it pulled me in (although I didn't really react emotionally to it - I think because it's just too much). It even has its lighter moments and a mild sense of humor. But it's not exactly something I'm going to want to see again, ever.
Objective Rating: 9/10 3.4/4 (Very good).

No comments:

Post a Comment