August 6, 2009

Torchwood: Children of Earth

excuse my projective vomiting while I bang my heads against this wall

Title: Torchwood: "Children of Earth"
Year: 2009
Network: BBC
Creator: Russell T. Davies
Director: Euros Lyn
Writers: Russell T. Davies (3 episodes), John Fay (2), James Moran (1)
Starring: John Barrowman, Eve Myles, Gareth David-Lloyd, Kai Owen, Peter Capaldi
Music: Ben Foster
Episodes: 5, at 60 minutes
Synopsis: aliens make sinister deals with the British government
How I saw it: on video (rented from Netflix), over the past few days
Subjective Rating: 9/10 (One of my favorites).
Objective Rating: 10/10. c. 3.5/4 3.6/4 (Very good).

The first two seasons of Torchwood were only occasionally entertaining - more often they were just badly-written fluff I sat through impatiently while hoping for some substantial tie-in with Doctor Who (which never happens). This series is something completely different. The old format is completely abandoned, and the story is written by Davies himself. It's like what you might expect if they were to make a Torchwood movie, except it goes on for five hours (and could easily have been longer). It's very much driven by suspense, so I doubt it would hold up to repeated viewings. Nonetheless, it's some of the best dramatic television I can remember seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment