April 19, 2011

Star Trek: "The Doomsday Machine"



Data
Title: Star Trek“The Doomsday Machine”
Year: 1967
Network: NBC
Episode: the sixth (of twenty-six) from season two; 50 minutes
Creator: Gene Roddenberry
Director: Marc Daniels
Writer: Norman Spinrad
Starring: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, William Windom, James Doohan
Music: Alexander Courage (theme); Sol Kaplan
I saw it: on video and TV several times, most recently a couple days ago (have on DVD)
Synopsis: space worm, devourer of worlds

My reaction
Concept:4/4 (Great) Oh hell yes.
Story:3/4 (Good)
Characters:3/4 (Good)
Dialog:3/4 (Good)
Pacing:4/4 (Great)
Cinematography:2/4 (Indifferent)
Special effects/design:4/4 (Great)
Acting:2/4 (Indifferent) The guest star is a terrible ham, in a role that should be serious. The regulars are pretty good in this one, though.
Music:4/4 (Great)
Subjective Rating: 9/10 (One of my favorites, 4/4 (Great)). I love this episode. I love it so hard. It's a giant, mechanical tapeworm that eats planets, and its mouth doubles as a death ray. Yeah, I know. It's awesome.
Objective Rating (Average):3.3/4 (Very good)

No comments:

Post a Comment