September 18, 2010

The Matrix

The Top 63 Marathon, part 39



Data
Title: The Matrix
Year: 1999
Length: 136 minutes
Directors: Andy Wachowski & Lana Wachowski
Writers: Andy Wachowski & Lana Wachowski
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving, Joe Pantoliano
Music: Don Davis (and non-original music)
Distinctions: Oscars for Best Editing, Best Visual Effects, Best Sound and Best Sound Effects Editing; currently #27 on the IMDb's Top 250



My reaction
Synopsis: an unhappy programmer finds out... some stuff that would be spoilers
How I saw it: on video many times, most recently yesterday (rented from Netflix)
Concept: Great.
Story: Indifferent.
Characters: Bad. I would say they're terrible, but then there's Mr. Smith, who is awesome.
Dialog: Bad. I would say it's terrible, but then there's Mr. Smith's "I want out" speach, which is awesome.
Pacing: Good.
Cinematography: Good. You can actually tell what's going on, which is exceptional for this style of action movie (but then I suppose that if The Matrix's action didn't work, this style of action movie wouldn't exist in the first place).
Special effects/design: Great.
Acting: Bad. I would say it's terrible, but then there's Hugo Weaving, who is awesome.
Music: Bad.
Subjective Rating: 6/10 (Okay). Huh. Well that hasn't aged well. After seeing it a few times, the once-mind-bending science fiction has nothing to offer, and instead I just notice how it doesn't hold up to too much thought. And after the last decade, the movie's once-awesomely-innovative style just looks like every other bad action movie. It's really only got two good things left (which I may have mentioned): Mr. Smith, and Hugo Weaving.
Objective Rating: 2.2/4 (Okay).

No comments:

Post a Comment