September 8, 2010

Dr. Strangelove

The Top 63 Marathon, part 34



Data
Title: Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Year: 1964
Length: 95 minutes
Director: Stanley Kubrick
Writers: Stanley Kubrick, Terry Southern & Peter George, based on a book by George
Starring: Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden
Music: Laurie Johnson (and non-original music)
Distinctions: Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Actor (Sellers); currently #33 on the IMDb's Top 250



My reaction
Synopsis: a US general orders an attack on the Soviet Union
How I saw it: on video many times, most recently (rented from Netflix) yesterday
Concept: Great.
Story: Great.
Characters: Great.
Dialog: Great.
Pacing: Good.
Cinematography: Great.
Special effects/design: Indifferent.
Acting: Good. The performances are absolutely perfect, but not necessarily what you would call great acting.
Music: Great.
Subjective Rating: 9/10 (One of my favorites). There was a time, many years ago, when I considered this my favorite movie. My opinion of it has dropped quite a bit since then, but I still love it.
Objective Rating: 3.6/4 3.7/4 (Great).

No comments:

Post a Comment