March 27, 2015

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari



Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari, 1920 [2002 Kino edition, Rainer Viertblöck score]. A series of murders is connected to a man who only wakes at his master's command.

Directed by Robert Wiene. Written by Carl Mayer, & Hans Janowitz. Starring Werner Krauss, Conrad Veidt, & Friedrich Feher, with Lil Dagover, & Hans Heinrich von Twardowski.

Concept: D
Story: C
Characters: D
Dialog: C
Pacing: B
Cinematography: A
Special effects/design: A
Acting: C
Music: B
Enjoyment: Re-watching silent films that I've seen before, but in different editions, it's becoming very clear that sound is half of a movie - or maybe 90% of a movie, when you're talking about a horror film. As much as I might try to ignore the music when it comes to judging the film, it's really impossible; the same silent film with two different scores is two completely different movies. I'd previously seen a version with the Timothy Brock score. Judging by what I wrote at the time, that version probably has better music than this one. But judging by what I thought of the film then, and my reaction to it now, this version's music works infinitely better. Then, I thought the movie was historically important but "badly done" by modern standards. Now, I find it genuinely scary, among the more effective horror films I've seen. A

GPA: 2.6/4

[update of a previous post - original is here]

No comments:

Post a Comment