April 17, 2013

Kindergarten Cop

From my Bad 90s Movies marathon, part 1 of 8.



Kindergarten Cop, 1990. An action hero goes undercover as a Kindergarten teacher.

Directed by Ivan Reitman. Written by Murray Salem, Herschel Weingrod & Timothy Harris; story by Salem. Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Concept: 0/4 (Terrible)
Story: 1/4 (Bad)
Characters: 1/4 (Bad)
Dialog: 1/4 (Bad)
Pacing: 3/4 (Good)
Cinematography: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Special effects/design: 1/4 (Bad). I've got to take a point off for Arnold's beard.
Acting: 1/4 (Bad)
Music: 1/4 (Bad)
Subjective Rating: 5/10 (Indifferent, 2/4). I'm ashamed to admit, it got a few good laughs out of me. There's something pleasantly absurd about it - not in the way the filmmakers were going for, but the absurdity that this sort of movie gets made, that a sizable amount of people felt this was the best use of their time and money, and that they might have been right. It's objectively terrible, but I almost enjoyed watching it (and I am decidedly not its target audience). Also, Arnold saying, "Oh, I forgot to tell you, this is my ferret," is... um... something that happens.
Objective Rating (Average): 1.3/4 (Bad)

No comments:

Post a Comment