December 8, 2012

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days



4 luni, 3 saptamâni si 2 zile, 2007. A girl helps her friend get an illegal abortion in Communist Romania.

Written & directed by Cristian Mungiu. Starring Anamaria Marinca.

Concept: 0/4 (Terrible). It has an amazing score of 97 on metacritic.com, so into the Netflix queue it went. If I had bothered to read a synopsis, then the fact that it's supposed to be one of the best movies ever made would probably have been insufficient enticement to watch it. If only I had.
Story: 4/4 (Great)
Characters: 3/4 (Good)
Dialog: 3/4 (Good)
Pacing: 2/4 (Indifferent). Deliberately very slow. If it had been a movie that wasn't 100% misery, it might have been great, interesting pacing. As it is, it's excruciating.
Cinematography: 3/4 (Good). Shakey cam, but used appropriately.
Special effects/design: 3/4 (Good)
Acting: 3/4 (Good)
Music: 2/4 (Indifferent). No music, with a lot of uncomfortable silences. It would have been a very different movie if it had music, probably less harrowing, and I would be A-Okay with that. And then there's the closing credits, with a terrible pop song.
Subjective Rating: 2/10 (Terrible, 0/4). Next time I'm tempted to call a film "joyless," I will have to think twice; my perspective on how relentlessly miserable a film can be has been changed. It's the kind of movie that's perfectly executed, couldn't be more effective, and I wish it wasn't - because what Mungiu is evoking is, to say the least, not something I want to experience. I literally had to scream after watching it. I'm still recovering.
Objective Rating (Average): 2.3/4 (Okay)

No comments:

Post a Comment