February 27, 2010

25th Hour



Data
Title: 25th Hour
Year: 2002
Length: 135 minutes
Director: Spike Lee
Writer: David Benioff, based on his novel
Starring: Edward Norton, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Barry Pepper, Rosario Dawson, Anna Paquin, Brian Cox
Music: Terence Blanchard

My reaction
Synopsis: a drug dealer's last day before going to prison
How I saw it: in the theater, 2003 (I think); on video several times (have on DVD), most recently yesterday
Concept: Great.
Story: Great.
Characters: Great.
Dialog: Great.
Pacing: Great.
Cinematography: Great.
Special effects/design:Great.
Acting: Great.
Music: Great. Possibly the all-time greatest score in the ancient tradition of plagiarized film scores. If you can listen to the opening credits without feeling anything, then you are dead inside.
Subjective Rating: 9/10 (One of my favorites). Pretty much a perfect movie. (How is it that this is still the only Spike Lee movie I've seen?) There's a lot I want to say about it, an essay I'd like to write, but try as I might I just don't have the writing ability.  There's a reason this blog has the format it does.
Objective Rating: 4.0/4 4.1/4 (Great).

No comments:

Post a Comment