July 26, 2012

Senna

From my 2011 Leftovers Marathon, part 7 of 14.



Senna, 2011. The career of a Formula 1 driver.

Directed by Asif Kapadia. Written by Manish Pandey.

Concept: 1/4 (Bad)
Story: 2/4 (Indifferent). It's a perfectly good story, but not good enough to make a documentary out of - at least, not a documentary that I'd like.
Characters: 3/4 (Good)
Dialog: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Pacing: 3/4 (Good)
Cinematography: n/a. Except for titles, entirely archive footage.
Special effects/design: 3/4 (Good)
Acting: n/a
Music: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Subjective Rating: 6/10 (Okay, 2/4). Never boring, but I was underwhelmed. Ayrton Senna and his nemesis Alain Prost are interesting, but I found them both extremely unlikable - which would have been irrelevant, except that the filmmakers so obviously idolize Senna. My wife complains that after watching it, she still knows nothing about Formula 1. I'm not sure about that, but we agree that the movie is, contrary to every review I've read, for people who already care about racing.
Objective Rating (Average): 2.3/4 (Okay)

No comments:

Post a Comment