July 10, 2012

Jane Eyre

From my 2011 Leftovers Marathon, part 4 of 14.



Jane Eyre, 2011. A mysterious man puts moves on his ward's governess.

Directed by Cary Fukunaga. Written by Moira Buffini, based on a book by Charlotte Brontë. Starring Mia Wasikowska & Michael Fassbender.

Concept: 1/4 (Bad). Oh, a 19th-Century love story. That's been filmed about 20 times already. Why do I care?
Story: 3/4 (Good)
Characters: 3/4 (Good)
Dialog: 2/4 (Indifferent). So damn melodramatic.
Pacing: 1/4 (Bad)
Cinematography: 4/4 (Great)
Special effects/design: 4/4 (Great)
Acting: 3/4 (Good). There's a hint of great performances, probably botched by the director and/or editor.
Music: 4/4 (Great)
Subjective Rating: 6/10 (Okay, 2/4). Very pretty, but dull. I expect I would have liked it less if I had had any familiarity with Jane Eyre before watching it.
Objective Rating (Average): 2.7/4 (Good)

No comments:

Post a Comment