June 17, 2012

On the Beach

From my 1950s Science Fiction Marathon, part 12 of 12.



On the Beach, 1959. After nuclear war, Australia waits for the fallout to arrive.

Directed by Stanley Kramer. Written by John Paxton, based on a book by Nevil Shute. Starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire & Anthony Perkins.

Concept: 4/4 (Great)
Story: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Characters: 3/4 (Good)
Dialog: 4/4 (Great)
Pacing: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Cinematography: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Special effects/design: 2/4 (Indifferent). Bad sound.
Acting: 4/4 (Great). I feel like I need to take a point off for the sad, half-assed attempt at silly accents. But I'm not going to. So there.
Music: 0/4 (Terrible)
Subjective Rating: 7/10 (Good, 3/4). I can't find a trailer online, but I can imagine the tag line: "Watch as your favorite stars die a slow and pointless death!" I guess I can see why it's not more popular than it is, but I like it. Great writing, great acting, and the apocalypse - what more do you need?
Objective Rating (Average): 2.6/4 (Good)

No comments:

Post a Comment