June 4, 2012

The Artist



The Artist, 2011. A silent film star destroys his career by ignoring sound.

Written & directed by Michel Hazanavicius. Starring Jean Dujardin & Bérénice Bejo.

Concept: 4/4 (Great)
Story: 1/4 (Bad)
Characters: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Dialog: 2/4 (Indifferent). They rarely use title cards unless there's some sort of self-aware joke involved. ("I won't talk! I won't say a word!") It's a funny joke, but they keep repeating it through the whole movie.
Pacing: 3/4 (Good)
Cinematography: 4/4 (Great)
Special effects/design: 3/4 (Good)
Acting: 3/4 (Good)
Music: 3/4 (Good)
Subjective Rating: 7/10 (Good, 3/4). Cute, pleasant and memorable. I had expected it to fill me with joy (an old school romance with a whimsical gimmick is the sort of thing I'm likely to love), but it didn't. It's just a nice movie - nothing special outside of the novelty.
Objective Rating (Average): 2.8/4 (Good)

No comments:

Post a Comment