November 30, 2011

Doctor Who #95: The Sun Makers

[note: My blog has gotten bloated with cast and crew details, and it's been taking up way too much of my time to post. I don't even remember why I include all that stuff. So: format change.]



Doctor Who: "The Sun Makers," 1977 (the fourth story of six from season fifteen). An evil corporation has enslaved the human race on Pluto. Directed by Pennant Roberts. Written by Robert Holmes. Starring Tom Baker, Louise Jameson & Richard Leech.

Concept: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Story: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Characters: 3/4 (Good). It's great to see Leela finally kick some ass. She gets to go into full on action hero mode.
Dialog: 3/4 (Good)
Pacing: 3/4 (Good)
Cinematography: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Special effects/design: 1/4 (Bad)
Acting: 3/4 (Good)
Music: 2/4 (Indifferent)
Subjective Rating: 7/10 (Good, 3/4). Cartoonish fun. One of the better of the classic series. It's a relief, after watching so many bad Doctor Who episodes in a row, to see a really good one. I was starting to forget why I liked the show. You don't need a budget to make a great TV show - but you do need a writer.
Objective Rating (Average): 2.4/4 (Okay)

No comments:

Post a Comment