February 15, 2010

A Single Man

Data
Title: A Single Man
Year: 2009
Length: 99 minutes
Director: Tom Ford
Writers: Tom Ford & David Scearce, based on the novel by Christopher Isherwood
Starring: Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, Nicholas Hoult, Matthew Goode
Music: Abel Korzeniowski (and non-original music)
Distinctions: Oscar nomination for Best Actor (Firth)

My reaction
Synopsis: months after the death of his partner, a 1960s gay man decides to kill himself
How I saw it: in the theater, yesterday
Concept: Good.
Story: Good. I've got to admit, I don't understand the significance of where the protagonist's relationship with his student went in the end. But overall, the story is very engaging.
Characters: Great.
Dialog: Great. They managed to get in a lot of literary density, without ever distracting from the plot or coming across as pretentious.
Pacing: Good.
Cinematography: Great.
Special effects/design: Great.
Acting: Great. I haven't seen Crazy Heart yet, but I will be (pleasantly) shocked and amazed if Bridges is better than Firth.
Music: Great.
Subjective Rating: 7/10 (Good). Only a 7, but a highly-recommended 7.
Objective Rating: 3.6/4 (Great).

No comments:

Post a Comment