February 7, 2010

An Education

Data
Title: An Education
Year: 2009
Length: 95 minutes
Director: Lone Scherfig
Writer: Nick Hornby, based on the memoir by Lynn Barber
Starring: Carey Mulligan, Peter Sarsgaard, Alfred Molina
Music: Paul Englishby (and non-original music)
Distinctions: Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Actress (Mulligan)

My reaction
Synopsis: a teenage girl falls in love with an older man
How I saw it: in the theater, yesterday
Concept: Bad. It sounds like it would be painful and awkward to watch. (It's not, though, probably thanks to Mulligan's performance. We see things from her character's perspective, so she never comes across as a victim unless she's aware of it herself.)
Story: Good.
Characters: Great.
Dialog: Great.
Pacing: Good.
Cinematography: Good.
Special effects/design: Great.
Acting: Great.
Music: Great.
Subjective Rating: 7/10 (Good). Definitely worth seeing. Great actors playing great characters, in an intelligent (if not mind-blowingly interesting) story.
Objective Rating: 3.3/4 (Very good).

1 comment:

  1. I saw this last night and was surprised at how much I liked it. I really didn't know much about it going into it, but I left really glad that I saw it. Mulligan was great and definitely deserved her Oscar nomination.

    ReplyDelete