December 30, 2009

favorites of the decade

Okay, so I haven't seen nearly enough movies to really do this kind of list without disclaimer. But then again, the majority of movies I've seen are probably from this last decade, and if there was a movie I expected to love, I probably would have seen it. Or not. I certainly wouldn't have expected to love 25h Hour if I hadn't seen it, and look there it is.

Top ten favorite movies of the Twenty-Aughts (with minor cheating):
10. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, 2001
9. Inglourious Basterds, 2009
8. 25th Hour, 2002
7. Moon, 2009
6. Kill Bill, 2003-2004
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 2004
4. Batman Begins, 2005/The Dark Knight, 2008
3. Wall-E, 2008/Up, 2009
2. "Everything Will Be OK," 2006/"I Am So Proud of You," 2008
1. Where the Wild Things Are, 2009

honorable mentions (in alphabetical order): "Boundin'" (2004), Children of Men (2006), Finding Nemo (2003), In Bruges (2008), The Incredibles (2004), "The Meaning of Life" (2005), "Rejected" (2000)

Do the Wild Things really deserve that #1 spot? It's kind of hard to say how a movie I've only seen once will hold up to time, but whatever. If I wanted to make a list of Movies That Will Be My Favorite of the Decade Ten Years from Now, I would make a list of 90s movies. (Hey, that's not a bad idea.) F*** it: right now, it's my favorite.

Anyway. What's missing? Let's have a look at the only list that really has any authority, the democratic IMDb's Best 2000s Titles...

...that are listed above: The Dark Knight, Wall-E, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Up, Inglourious Basterds, Batman Begins, Kill Bill: Vol. 1, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles.

...that I haven't seen yet: Cidade de Deus, Das Leben der Anderen, The Pianist, The Departed, Requiem for a Dream, Der Untergang, Gran Torino, Slumdog Millionaire, Okuribito and A Serious Man. ...and that I haven't even heard of: Nefes: Vatan sagolsun, Tasogare Seibei and Dil Chahta Hai. A few of those have great potential, a few I expect to hate, and I wouldn't be surprised if A Serious Man turns out to be one of my favorites.

...that I have seen:
- Oldboy. I didn't like watching it, but I can't say it doesn't deserve its praise.
- The Lord of the Rings. They're great movies, and the first two are a couple of my favorites, but... the ranking of these really shows the bias of IMDb's demographic more than the quality of the films.
- Speaking of the bias, I've got to call Bullshit on the following titles being on the list: Avatar, Star Trek and The Bourne Ultimatum.
- Other good/great movies: Memento, Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi, The Prestige, District 9, Sin City, Hotel Rwanda, Fantastic Mr. Fox, No Country for Old Men, The Wrestler, Snatch, Le scaphandre et le papillon.
- Over-rated movies: El laberinto del fauno, There Will Be Blood, Million Dollar Baby and Ratatouille
- Striaght-up crap: Gladiator, Donnie Darko, Into the Wild, Amores perros, V for Vendetta

4 comments:

  1. Good list. I still haven't seen 25th Hour. I need to get on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to think of something to say about 25th Hour just now, but I can't figure out how. There's some sort of feeling that I have no other words for than "like in 25th Hour."

    ReplyDelete
  3. V for Vendetta and Donnie Darko are crap? Seriously? I guess that explains why you picked Where the Wild Things are #1...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it's a bit strong to say they're crap, but I don't like them. My posts on Donnie Darko and V for Vendetta are here and here, if you'd like to see my reasoning and/or tell me why I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete