March 19, 2009

Pirates of the Caribbean

Title: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Year: 2003
Director: Gore Verbinski
Writer: Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio; story by Elliott, Rossio, Stuart Beattie and Jay Wolpert
Starring: Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, Jack Davenport, Jonathan Pryce
Music: Klaus Badelt
Distinctions: Oscar nominations for Best Actor (Depp), Best Makeup, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing and Best Visual Effects; formerly on IMDb's Top 250
Synopsis: um... pirates
How I saw it: probably in the theater (can't remember), on video several times (have on DVD), most recently February 2008
Subjective Rating: 9/10 (One of my favorites).
Objective Rating: 7/10 (points off for concept, cinematography and special effects/design) c. 3.0/4 (Good) 3.1/4 (Very good).

This is one of those movies where I tend to forget how good it is (I suppose my memory of it gets obscured by its terrible ending and crappy sequels), and then when I rewatch it I'm startled by how much fun I'm having. The plot is clever, the action is loads of fun in a cartoonish way, and every other line coming out of Johnny Depp's mouth is hilarious (and, by this point, iconic).

No comments:

Post a Comment