December 17, 2010

The Kids Are All Right



Data
Title: The Kids Are All Right
Year: 2010
Length: 106 minutes
Director: Lisa Cholodenko
Writers: Lisa Cholodenko & Stuart Blumberg
Starring: Julianne Moore, Annette Bening, Mark Ruffalo, Mia Wasikowska, Josh Hutcherson
Music: Carter Burwell (but mostly non-original music)
Oscars: nominations for Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay, Best Actress (Bening) and Best Supporting Actor (Ruffalo)

My reaction
Synopsis: teenage siblings contact their mothers' sperm doner; relationships ensue
How I saw it: on video (rented from Netflix), today
Concept: Bad.
Story: Indifferent. It's character-driven, so it's not so bad that the story's not very good. But the story's not very good. I give it an "indifferent" instead of "bad" because the ending, after all the unreasonably predictable bullshit is out of the way, feels genuine.
Characters: Great. My wife observed that it's nice that there's not one central character, but you can see things from everyone's perspective. With this sort of story, it's rare that any characters are sympathetic, but here, all of them are sympathetic.
Dialog: Great.
Pacing: Good.
Cinematography: Indifferent.
Special effects/design: Good.
Acting: Great.
Music: Good.
Subjective Rating: 7/10 (Good). Exceptional performances - possibly the best of anything I've seen from 2010 (although it's late at night as I write this so I can't say I'm thinking too clearly about it (in fact, just now it took me a minute to figure out that the word "possibly" doesn't have an "r" in it)). It's too bad those performances are wasted on a movie with a plot out of a soap opera.
Objective Rating: 2.9/4 (Good).

No comments:

Post a Comment