September 3, 2009

The Wrestler

the back of Mickey Rourke's head

Title: The Wrestler
Year: 2008
Director: Darren Aronofsky
Writer: Robert D. Siegel
Starring: Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood
Music: Clint Mansell (and non-original music)
Distinctions: Oscar nominations for Best Actor (Rourke) and Best Supporting Actress (Tomei); currently #118 on IMDb's Top 250
Length: 111 minutes
Synopsis: a professional wrestler is broke and too old
How I saw it: on video (rented from Netflix), yesterday
Subjective Rating: 7/10 (Good)
Objective Rating: 8/10 (points off for story and music) c. 3.2/4 (Very good)

Crazy good acting from Rourke. The music is right for the movie, but I'm taking a point off just because I don't like 80's metal. It's hard to say what I don't like about the story. I want to say it's too slow, but I was never bored; it just... stands still a lot, with a character you expect and want to be Making Things Happen.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great movie, that really should have won the Oscar for best male performance. Shows that the Oscars are a bunch of scam artists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, I haven't seen Milk yet. But it does seem hard to imagine a political biopic having a better performance than Rourke's.

    ReplyDelete