September 2, 2009

Doctor Who #88: The Deadly Assassin

Look, I can't stop you from my chair without shooting you, and I am NOT getting up.

Title: Doctor Who: “The Deadly Assassin
Year: 1976
Network: BBC
Creators: Sydney Newman, C.E. Webber, Donald Wilson
Director: David Maloney
Writer: Robert Holmes
Starring: Tom Baker
Music: Ron Grainer (theme), Dudley Simpson
Episodes: 4, at 25 minutes; the third story (of 6) from season 14
Synopsis: The Doctor goes into the Gallifreyan matrix to prove his innocence in an assassination conspiracy
How I saw it: on video (rented from Netflix), yesterday
Subjective Rating: 7/10 (Good).
Objective Rating: 4/10 (gets points for concept, characters, dialog and subjective rating) c. 2.3/4 (Okay).

I'm not sure why I liked this one. There's a nice sci-fi concept or two, but the story is kind of a mess that doesn't tie them together or clearly explain them. There's an almost Rambo-like action sequence, but it takes place in a virtual universe with no established physical rules. It's been a few months since I've seen a good Tom Baker story, though, and I guess it's just what I wanted to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment