July 28, 2009

The Wizard of Oz

look, lady, I don't even know you

Title: The Wizard of Oz
Year: 1939
Director: Victor Fleming
Writers: Noel Langley, Florence Ryerson & Edgar Allan Woolf, based on the novel by L. Frank Baum
Starring: Judy Garland, Frank Morgan, Ray Bolger, Bert Lahr, Jack Haley, Margaret Hamilton
Music: Harold Arlen & E.Y. Harburg (songs); Herbert Stothart (score)
Distinctions: Oscars for Best Score and Best Song ("Over the Rainbow"); Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Cinematography (color), Best Art Direction and Best Special Effects; currently #125 on IMDb's Top 250
Length: 101 minutes
Synopsis: a fight to the death over a sparkly pair of heels :P
How I saw it: many times on video and TV, most recently (rented from Netflix) yesterday
Subjective Rating: 8/10 (Great).
Objective Rating: 9/10 (1 point off for cinematography) c. 3.4/4 (Very good).

I don't really care for the songs (I do not like showtunes), but I have to admit they're good.  I find it strangely difficult to judge what I think of the movie. It's just so familiar, it's like deciding what I think of blue as the color of the sky.  Is there anybody out there who somehow managed to see it for the first time as an adult?

No comments:

Post a Comment