October 1, 2014

The Boxtrolls



The Boxtrolls, 2014. A boy raised by subterranean creatures must save them from genocide.

Directed by Graham Annable, & Anthony Stacchi. Written by Irena Brignull, & Adam Pava, based on a book by Alan Snow. Starring Isaac Hempstead Wright, Elle Fanning, & Ben Kingsley, with Jared Harris, Nick Frost, Richard Ayoade, & Tracy Morgan.

Concept: C
Story: C
Characters: The comic relief characters are fun. The main characters are awful. D
Dialog: B
Pacing: B
Cinematography: B
Special effects/design: Good, but I'm unimpressed. I'm not sure I would even have noticed that it's not CG if I hadn't known. Not sure if that's the fault of poor projection at my local theater, or if it's the increasingly computerized approach to stop-motion. B
Acting: C
Music: B
Enjoyment: There are cute things, and the sense of humor is good, so you could do a lot worse. C

GPA: 2.4/4

No comments:

Post a Comment