May 29, 2011

Of Gods and Men

Data
Title: Des hommes et des dieux
Year: 2010 (France); 2011 (US)
Length: 122 minutes
Director: Xavier Beauvois
Writer: Xavier Beauvois, scenario by Etienne Comar
Starring: Lambert Wilson, Michael Lonsdale, Olivier Rabourdin, Philippe Laudenbach, Jacques Herlin, Loïc Pichon
Music: non-original music (I think)
I saw it: in the theater, a few days ago
Synopsis: monks stay in north Africa during a terrorist uprising

My reaction
Concept:2/4 (Indifferent)
Story:2/4 (Indifferent)
Characters:1/4 (Bad)
Dialog:2/4 (Indifferent)
Pacing:1/4 (Bad) Painfully slow. But not in a poetic way. More of a This Film Doesn't Have an Editor way.
Cinematography:4/4 (Great)
Special effects/design:4/4 (Great)
Acting:3/4 (Good)
Music:4/4 (Great)
Subjective Rating: 5/10 (Indifferent, 2/4 (Indifferent)). I guess it's interesting, but that's only because of (1) the subject matter, and (2) the distinctly unique pacing.  But since I don't think the pacing worked, there wasn't much here for me.  The situations in the film should have been extremely tense and suspenseful, but I never felt anything along those lines.
Objective Rating (Average):2.5/4 (Okay)

No comments:

Post a Comment