April 15, 2010

Reservoir Dogs

The Top 63 Marathon, part 1



Data
Title: Reservoir Dogs
Year: 1992
Length: 99 minutes
Director: Quentin Tarantino
Writer: Quentin Tarantino
Starring: Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Chris Penn, Steve Buscemi
Music: non-original music
Distinctions: currently #63 on IMDb's Top 250




My reaction
Synopsis: a professional robbery goes wrong
How I saw it: on video several times, most recently (rented from Netflix) yesterday
Concept: Good.
Story: Great.
Characters: Great.
Dialog: Great.
Pacing: Great.
Cinematography: Good.
Special effects/design: Good.
Acting: Good.
Music: Great.
Subjective Rating: 8/10 (Great). It's been something like a decade since the last time I saw this. I was concerned that it wouldn't seem as good to me now as it did to my younger self (as is the case with most "cool" movies that I liked back then), but in fact I like it a lot more now. You have to appreciate that of the million crime/gangster/heist movies, there are only a handful that are anywhere near as well done and entertaining as this. I might even like this better than Pulp Fiction (although it's been equally long since I've seen that one, so it's hard to say).
Objective Rating: 3.6/4 (Great).

No comments:

Post a Comment