November 17, 2009

The Return of Sherlock Holmes: Season One

Data
Title: The Return of Sherlock Holmes: Season One [or, season three of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, with a new title]
Year: 1986
Network: ITV
Episodes: 7, at c. 52 minutes
Creator: John Hawkesworth (developer)
Directors: David Carson (2 episodes), Howard Baker (1), Peter Hammond (1), John Bruce (1), Patrick Lau (1), John Madden (1)
Writers: John Hawkesworth (2 episodes), T.R. Bowen (2), Jeremy Paul (1), Alan Plater (1), John Kane (1); based on stories by Arthur Conan Doyle
Starring: Jeremy Brett, Edward Hardwicke
Music: Patrick Gowers

My reaction
Synopsis: a private investigator solves mysteries
How I saw it: mostly streaming online (from Netflix), over the past couple weeks
Concept: Great.
Story: Good. Not really any bad episodes in this batch (although the first couple aren't great). A few of them are great.
Characters: Great.
Dialog: Good. The quality of the adaptations are much better than I remember The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes being.
Pacing: Good.
Cinematography: Indifferent.
Special effects/design: Great.
Acting: Great. I'm surprised to find I'm not disappointed by the re-casting of Watson. And Brett's even better than before.
Music: Great.
Subjective Rating: 8/10 (Great). Again, I have to point out that this is not My Sort of Thing. I'm not a big fan of mysteries - especially crime drama - and as a rule I hate period drama. But I absolutely love this show.
Objective Rating: 9/10 3.5/4 (Very good).

No comments:

Post a Comment