April 8, 2009

Cinderella Man

Title: Cinderella Man
Year: 2005
Director: Ron Howard
Writers: Cliff Hollingsworth & Akiva Goldsman
Starring: Russell Crowe, Renée Zellweger, Paul Giamatti
Music: Thomas Newman
Distinctions: Oscar nominations for Best Supporting Actor (Giamatti), Best Makeup and Best Editing; formerly on IMDb's Top 250
Synopsis: true story of a depression-era boxer
How I saw it: on video (rented from Netflix), June 2008
Subjective Rating: 5/10 (Indifferent).
Objective Rating: 0/10 c. 1.8/4 (Eh).

At times it's good, but usually not. It doesn't really deserve the 0/10 rating - very little is outright bad about it, but everything is mediocre, so they just don't get any points. The special effects/design were actually great in most regards, but I've got to take the point away for how completely unconvincing most of the boxing was, since after all this is supposed to be a movie about boxing. The music is good, but inappropriate for the film. As for the acting: Renée Zellweger? Seriously? Also, am I the only person who thinks Paul Giamatti is crazy over-rated? I avoid based-on-a-true-story/inspirational-type movies like the plague, but I have to admit there were moments where I was actually getting into this movie a little. But then they were gone and I had to sit through Renée Zellweger pretending to be an actress.

No comments:

Post a Comment